Chris Breen has 25 years’ commercial experience in multinational branded pharmaceutical companies (inc. Pfizer and UCB) and global CDMOs (contract development & manufacturing organisations – inc. 3M and Catalent). He now works as a consultant providing commercial services (strategy, positioning, branding/rebranding and international business development, including sourcing and setting-up strategic partnerships) for small to medium-sized biotech, pharma, contract development, technology and device companies.
Chris also works closely with clients to help secure investment/funding and manage the licensing-out of assets, technologies or early-stage pharma products. His other key area of focus is reviewing and sourcing the most suitable contract development partner(s) for the precise stage of a client’s product development. With 15 plus years in the CDMO space, and with a network of contacts in clinical supplies services too, Chris offers a joined-up approach to maximising value and helping reduce a client’s outsourced development spend.
Chris Breen’s areas of expertise where he can support companies are:
- Commercial Strategy – Pharma, Biotech, MedTech and Contract Services
- Business Development & Strategic Partnerships – 25 years’ senior level network
- In & Out-Licensing: technologies, pharma & biotech assets
- Branding & Positioning: Marketing strategy, Website guidance, corporate identity
- Drug-Delivery Technologies: Nano and Macro/Device technologies
- Formulation-Development Partner Sourcing: 15 years’ experience in CDMOs
- Helping Source Investment: supporting divestment and M&A activities
- Team Management: building, coaching & developing top-performing sales teams
Chris Breen’s most recent Consulting Experience Includes:
- Repositioning and rebranding services for an established (25 years plus) small contract development and analytical services business. His research showed that many would-be clients did not appreciate or fully understand the client’s offerings. Critically, the company had a novel formulation technology that impacted manufacturing processes (with reduced filling costs plus environmental benefits) but the client had failed to find a partner to take this on. Chris restructured the offerings then, through his extensive industry network and key industry conferences, secured a strategic partner to utilise the services and technology for a £7 million + development. This was just a 6-month consulting project.
- Investigating formulation failures and identifying an alternative development strategy for a company in the transdermal field.
- In the oral space, finding alternative drug delivery technologies and sourcing the ideal formulation and manufacturing partner for a European Biotech. (This required very specific technologies to meet the product profile requirements – to differentiate it from competing offerings. The company sourced was not a company Chris had previously worked for, or with, but was definitely the right CDMO partner for the client.)
- Working with a small pharma company (across multiple dosage forms: inhaled, oral and injectables) to out-license early-stage assets. The company also has a novel formulation technology and can provide early development services. Chris worked closely with the CEO on commercial strategy, creating marketing campaigns, and taking on business development activities to bring in new clients and strategic partnerships.
- For a large international device company: Chris was hired by a major global consulting company as the commercial adviser in a due diligence team assessing the potential for a € multi-million investment/expansion.
- Nano Drug Delivery Technology: investigating the commercial potential for a novel cell-delivery technology.
- Rebranding the services of a contract manufacturer and advising on the layout and wording of their new website. Developing strap lines, imagery and a new identity.
Chris Breen is a trained commercial negotiator (Scotwork and The Gap Partnership).
If you would like to speak to Chris you can contact email@example.com
Free services supported by paid for services. If you or any of your contacts are considering engaging a recruiter, consultant or trainer we will welcome the opportunity to be considered.