Our UK based biotech client developing microbial cancer immunotherapies requires a Director Translational Research. Using their leading-edge technology, their mission is to use their expertise in engineering biology and immunology to improve the lives of patients, their lead oncology program is expected to enter the clinic in 2022. They require an experienced Director of Translational Research to join their diverse and high-performance team. Under the direction of the VP Research, and in collaboration with the CMO and the Head of Immunology, the role holder will lead the translational research and biomarker discovery efforts and drive the creation, implementation and execution of translational/biomarker development plans and patient selection strategies. They will be a vital part of shaping and executing the translational strategy.
- Provide scientific leadership in areas of biomarker discovery, development and translational science working with cross-functional teams.
- Collaborate with Preclinical/Immunology and Clinical Development teams and external experts as appropriate to develop scientifically rigorous translational and exploratory biomarker strategies that assess proof of mechanism, establish early signs of efficacy, enable proof of concept studies, patient selection and generate an understanding of the variability in patient response.
- Design of hypothesis-driven studies of human samples to inform pharmacodynamics, pharmacokinetics, mechanism of action, and patient stratification/selection.
- Partner with Preclinical/Immunology scientists to design and execute translational research to discover and validate pathways and biomarkers associated with mechanism of action and drug response (including the development of translationally relevant ex vivo/ in vitro models to interrogate tumour microenvironment interactions).
Qualifications and Experience
- PhD or MD with primary focus in either Cellular Biology, Cancer Biology Pharmacology and/or Immunology, with at least 8 years of pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry experience in biomarker discovery and translational research
- Thorough understanding of clinical trials and clinical strategy, experience with immunotherapy drug development as well as analytical and clinical validation of biomarker assays; understanding of companion diagnostic development is an advantage
- First-hand experience with identification and validation of pharmacodynamic and patient selection biomarkers and clinical implementation
- Experience in management of direct reports as well as coordination of outsourced studies; involvement in establishing and running a translational research group is a plus
- Familiarity with data management and use of computational and visualization tools to analyse complex data sets