Our UK based established life science client provides instruments and specialist consumables for the global pharma and academic research community. The role holder will develop and deliver new customer-relevant applications and assay kits as part of their microfluidic platform. The Director of Cell and Molecular Biology is part of the senior leadership team in R+D, reporting to the Chief Technical Officer. As part of this team , they will be responsible for all biological aspects of their R+D work including contributing to R+D strategy, planning and delivering projects, leading the biology team, and ensuring all biology work is done to the highest possible scientific and safety standards.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement the overall strategy for cell and molecular biology within the broader R+D strategy and company commercial context.
- Identify and recommend new relevant scientific areas and product ideas.
- Plan and execute design and development projects to create new commercially-relevant applications and assay kits
- Assist in developing requirements and specifications for new platforms.
- In conjunction with the Technical Support team, plan and execute ‘proof of concept’ projects with customers to assess new applications.
- Act as internal consultant, champion and expert in cell and molecular biology for the company, particularly for cross-discipline R+D projects.
- In liaison with the marketing team. build the company’s profile externally around applications and assays via publication of patents, papers, articles, conference posters, blogs etc. and giving scientific presentations.
- Perform due diligence and assessment on competitive science and IP in the field of cell and molecular biology and ensure the company’s technical know-how is up to date by regular review of the scientific literature and conference attendance.
- Line management of the biology team, driving recruitment and capability growth to align with business needs.
- Development and refinement of internal processes to drive efficient project execution and maximize effectiveness of our biology labs within our ISO9001 Quality Management System.
- Oversee safety, health and environment activities for all biological work and ensure compliance with appropriate regulations and safety procedures, including acting as Biological Safety Officer for the company.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Doctoral degree in cell and / or molecular biology.
- Experience of working in biopharma or industrial biotech carrying out cell-based and molecular assays in a commercial context, familiar with the challenges and needs of industry carrying out cell-based scientific R+D.
- Able to think creatively and propose novel ideas for new application and assays.
- Experience of leading assay-focused design and development projects.
- Familiar with product development processes, particularly requirements capture, project planning and delivery and verification / validation methods.
- Good data analysis and problem-solving skills, familiar with statistical techniques, able to identify root causes and implement robust action plans.
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal. Able to explain complex ideas in straightforward ways to non-experts.
- Experience in growing and developing high-performance scientific teams.
- Strong organizational skills, able to set standards and encourage others to succeed.
- Experience in overseeing biological health and safety, familiar with the legal requirements in the UK.
- Knowledge of immunology, particularly the underlying cell-based processes.
- Familiar with microfluidics and associated instrumentation.
- Understanding of the biopharmaceutical discovery and development process.
- Familiar with droplet techniques for biology R+D.
- Experience in managing technically astute customers and working with third parties.
- Familiar with typical data analysis software tools used by biologists.
- Able to engage with others and drive conversations.
- Able to inspire other scientists and help them develop their skills and knowledge.
- Well organized, able to develop good processes, able to hold people to account.
- Able to make effective decisions, delegate and prioritise activities both short and long term.
- Excellent communication skills with an ability to easily relate complex technical information.
- Able to drive change and bring in new ideas and ways of doing things.
- Able to multi-task and cope with uncertainty.