Non-Executive Chair – Medical Devices – Ref.: JVM150319OB
Open Bionics, founded in 2014, has recently raised c. £5m from leading UK venture capital investors. Open Bionics is a UK based prosthetics company developing affordable, assistive devices that enhance the human body. They’ve started by introducing the Hero Arm, a stylish multi-grip bionic arm. The Hero Arm is Open Bionics’ first commercially available bionic limb. Its highly affordable and each Hero Arm is custom-built, and for the first time ever is available for upper limb amputees as young as nine.
The business is looking for a Non-Executive Chair to act as a sounding board to the directors and provide guidance on all aspects of the company’s strategy. There are 6 directors – each is an equal member of the Board. There is an opportunity for the Chair to invest in the business, in order to align interests and participate in the future value creation.
Key responsibilities include:
- Chair monthly board meetings
- Provide leadership to the directors and executive management team
- Ensure Open Bionics is managed effectively, and an appropriate governance framework is in place
- Provide scrutiny, leadership, oversight and strategic input to the company in the pursuit of its aim to become the leading provider of upper limb prosthetics globally
- Provide support and supervision to the CEO and senior management team
- To ensure an effective relationship between all board members and stakeholders/shareholders
- Act as an independent voice in the event of a dispute between the directors
The successful candidate will have practical experience building and scaling companies, ideally in the medical devices sector, a good track record in leadership, and an appreciation of brand development and marketing. They are likely to have had non-executive director experience, ideally as a Chair, and will have board level experience of building and scaling a B2C or B2B2C business that has a physical product (from t/o £1m to £10m+ and c. 20 to 100+ FTEs). In addition previous board level experience, ideally at chair level, in a growing medical devices business – ideally in prosthetics, is required. The ideal candidate will have experience leading companies that have expanded into international markets including the USA and/or Europe ideally in a regulatory environment. Thus a strong understanding of go-to-market strategies in the medical devices sector is required together with that of the reimbursement and regulatory challenges of medical devices.
To apply please send your CV and covering email to Samantha Payne, COO & Co-Founder at firstname.lastname@example.org